[U-Boot] DRAM error when enable #define CONFIG_SPLASH_SCREEN

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Jun 9 14:28:44 CEST 2010

Hi Tommy,

> for enabling splash screen on my board (mpx8349) I enabled
> the splash screen config in file configuration.

Hm, what board is that exactly?  I cannot find a reference to "mpx8349"
in current code nor does "git grep MPX8349" yield any output.  Is it
possible that you use a non-mainline U-Boot tree?

> the binary was succesfully flashed to the board
> but when I start the uboot, I got this message :
>
> U-Boot 2009.01-dirty (Jun 09 2010 - 10:19:28) MPC83XX
>
> Reset Status:
>
> CPU:   e300c1, MPC8349EA, Rev: 3.0 at 396 MHz, CSB: 264 MHz
> Board: MPX8349
> PCI1:  32 bit, 33 MHz
> SRAM:   1 MB
> I2C:   ready
> DRAM:  *** failed ***
> ### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###
>

> and I'd like to know, what the meaning of 'dirty' on the U-Boot title.

Check tools/setlocalversion.  Basically -dirty is appended when git
tells us that we have uncommitted changes in the local tree.  In essence
this tells us developers that the version you use is modified with
respect to the version 2009.01 that we know.

> what more that I must configure to enabling splash screen or bitmap support?
> like memory init..etc..

It seems non-obvious that the error stems from the SPLASH_SCREEN option.
Are you sure that the board works correct without this option?  A good
starting point would be to look into the changes against the mainline
U-Boot code ;)

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Or go for generality ... Add a programming language for extensibility
and write part of the program in that language.