[U-Boot] Micrel Controller KSZ8841-16MBL

Ben Warren biggerbadderben at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 21:18:33 CEST 2010

On 6/10/2010 12:02 PM, Douglas Lopes Pereira wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need some help here...
>
> I'm working on adding a driver for KSZ8841 ethernet controller which I found
> at this forum: blackfin.uclinux.org.
>
> I was looking at the mail list archive and found a message from Prafulla
> answering Raphael Amorin.
>
> Mr. Prafulla suggested him to add the input code into drivers/net/phy/ and
> public interfaces in netdev.h
>
> Since drivers/net/phy/ does not exist anymore, I'm assuming that input code
> should go to drivers/net/ instead.

Huh? drivers/net/phy does exist...  But the KS8841 is a MAC/PHY, so
belongs in driver/net proper.
> But what about the public interfaces (aka. eth_init, eth_send)? Where should
> it go?

You're using an out-of-date API.  Please read the documentation
(doc/README.drivers.eth)

I actually wrote a driver for this controller a few years ago, but
didn't submit it because at the time it didn't make sense to submit my
board and we don't allow bare drivers (ones for which there is no
in-tree board).  If you'd like, I can clean up the driver and send it to
you, and then put it in the tree.  Unfortunately I don't have hardware
to test it on anymore.
> Thanks for your time,
> Best regards,
> Douglas