[U-Boot] GTH board status

Thomas Lange thomas at corelatus.se
Thu Jun 24 11:48:53 CEST 2010

On 2010-06-23 23:34, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Thomas,
>
> is the GTH board still actively being maintained, or what exactly is
> it's state?

The GTH board is obsolete and has not been manufactured for several years.
To my knowledge, no recent U-Boot build has been tested on that card.

> I'm trying to clean up a thing or two and ran into a few strange
> things:
>
> "common/env_common.c" has this:
>
> 230 #if defined(CONFIG_GTH) || defined(CONFIG_ENV_IS_NOWHERE)       /* Environment not changable */
> 231                 puts ("Using default environment\n\n");
> 232 #else
> 233                 puts ("*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment\n\n");
> 234                 show_boot_progress (-60);
> 235 #endif
>
> This looks as if the GTH board had no persistent environment storage;
> but when I was tempted to remove the "defined(CONFIG_GTH) ||" part
> and add a "#define CONFIG_ENV_IS_NOWHERE" to "include/configs/GTH.h"
> I see this:
>
> 197 #define CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_FLASH 1
> 198 #undef CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_EEPROM
> 199 #define CONFIG_ENV_OFFSET               0x000E0000
> 200 #define CONFIG_ENV_SIZE         0x4000  /* Total Size of Environment Sector     */
> 201
> 202 #define CONFIG_ENV_SECT_SIZE    0x50000 /* see README - env sector total size   */
>
> That means that there is actually flash on the GTH board.

Yes, there is a NOR flash on the card, but it was never used for
persistent environment storage.

> Do you agree that we simply remove the "defined(CONFIG_GTH) ||" part
> from "common/env_common.c" ?

Yes.

> Then I noticed the CONFIG_ENV_SECT_SIZE = 0x50000 setting. I am sure
> that your flash memory cannot have a sector size of 320 KiB - the
> 0x50000 must be bogus.

The ENV defines above are all bogus. I think they were needed to make ppcboot compile.
CONFIG_ENV_IS_NOWHERE did not exist at that time.

/Thomas