[U-Boot] Any good __LOW COST__ MIPS SBC suggestion please

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 13:18:29 CET 2010

Hi Balaji,

Please don't top quote.

Balaji Ravindran wrote:
> Hi Florian and Jerry,
>
> Thanks for the inputs, i was actually going through the choices, and yea
> as suggested Lemote seems to be a nice choice for me, and was wanting to
> see distributors in the US / US shipping options.,

Based on your .in email domain, I did not expect that to be a problem. :-/

> also i had a look at the Linksys routers that you guys mentioned, but
> one question, aren't the commercial products different from those of
> development versions?,

There are no development versions.  That is why they are cheap. ;-)

> I mean, when i opened up my WRT 610N, i could see  that, the main
> section of my router board is sealed in a steel casing(guess heat
> dissipater), though i can get the specs online,

The metal enclosure would be a EMI shield.  This is typically needed
over the RF sections, sometimes needed over the processor sections.  It
may or may not cover interesting things (processor, JTAG connector, etc).

> but does it have JTAG ports for debugging support? usually in production
> versions, the odm's doesn't provide JTAG right? well, i couldn't see one
> though.

The JTAG port is typically pads with no connector installed.  The
designer/developers need it for development and the manufacturer
typically needs it for loading new boards or debugging bad boards.

Developers get boards with connectors installed (special builds or
add-on).  Manufacturers will use a fixture with "pogo pins" to stab the
pads directly.  You get the opportunity for showing creativity,
ingenuity, and soldering prowess.

> Just curious, will we be able to get development boards of Linksys WRT
> SKUs?

No.  Linksys is in the business of selling lots of turnkey boxes, not
development stations.  Their attitude varies between tolerance and
unhappiness with respect to hackers repurposing their boxes.

If you are looking for development boards, the "off-the-shelf"
repurposing that Florian and I have mentioned do not fit your desires.
You will need to restart your search with actual eval/dev boards and
probably pay more money.  The advantage is that you will probably get
better help and more information from the (re)seller.  The disadvantage
is that you will pay more and probably learn less.

> Thanks
>
> Balaji R

Best regards,
gvb

P.S. Florian: Thanks for the added info, that was very helpful.

[snip original]