[U-Boot] bootcounter implementation for OMAP3

Nitin Mahajan nitinm76 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 06:04:23 CET 2010

Hello,

--- On Tue, 9/3/10, Detlev Zundel <dzu at denx.de> wrote:

> From: Detlev Zundel <dzu at denx.de>
> Subject: Re: [U-Boot] bootcounter implementation for OMAP3
> To: nitinm76 at yahoo.com
> Cc: u-boot at lists.denx.de
> Date: Tuesday, 9 March, 2010, 10:52 PM
> Hi Nitin,
>
> >> You are writing a 32 bit entity to an non 32-bit
> aligned address.
> >> Although I do not know the omap too well, this can
> be a problem on
> >> any architecture.
> >>
> >> Can you write 32-bot to that exact address from
> within the U-Boot
> >> commandline with e.g. "mm"?
> >
> > That was the basic mistake I think. I was trying to
> write to a non 32
> > bit aligned address. This got solved, but I have some
> new errors
> > saying this
>
> Ok, thanks for the confirmation.
>
> > ## Error: environment overflow, "stdin" deleted
>

> > ## Error: environment overflow, "stdout" deleted
>

> > ## Error: environment overflow, "stderr" deleted
> > ## Error: environment overflow, "bootcount" deleted
>
> [dzu at pollux u-boot-testing (master)]$ git grep "environment
> overflow"
> common/cmd_nvedit.c:
>   printf ("## Error: environment overflow, \"%s\"
> deleted\n", name);
> tools/env/fw_env.c:
>            "Error:
> environment overflow, \"%s\" deleted\n",
>
> > Does that mean the size allocated for env is smaller
> compared to the
> > actual contents in env file.  I am new to u-boot.
> Can you give some
> > pointers on this?

I just increased the size in my board specific configuration file. Now this feature of bootlimit and altbootcmd works for me on OMAP3.

Thanks for your time.

I was just wondering how to recover from errors such as bad CRC on uImage, where boot loader is not able to start booting the kernel for any reason.

In such case how to fallback to a different kernel.

-Nitin

> Only you can answer what you have defined for your
> configuration.
>
> Cheers
>   Detlev
>
> --
> He who can properly define and divide is to be considered a
> god.
>

>         -- Plato
> --
> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      MD:
> Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
> HRB 165235 Munich,  Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194
> Groebenzell, Germany
> Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-40 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email:
> dzu at denx.de

      New Email names for you!
Hurry before someone else does!