[U-Boot] Uboot debugging clarification!

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Mar 17 20:03:51 CET 2010

Dear Ramalingam C,

In message <OF04B24567.651E9130-ON652576E9.004FB606-652576E9.004FF537 at lntemsys.com> you wrote:

> I am working on iMX515 processor in our project. Our evaluation board is
> iMX51EVK. We are using the uboot.
>
> For our board we have designed the NAND as storage device! But for our
> NAND chip we dont have the Advanced toolkit (freescale s/w) support! So we
> have to load the uboot binary to DDR2 through JTAG emulator and boot the
> uboot!.

Is! there! any! specific! reason! for! ending! evary! sentence! in!
an! exclamation! mark!?   Why are you shouting at us?

> When we are trying this on iMX51EVK board by removing the SD card, control
> is going to a infinite loop. The same binary is working if we store in the
> SD card of EVK board and boot!

Then you obviously are doing something wrong or missing some
initialization, or both.

> If we get the uboot running then we can store the uboot to NAND and
> proceed with our testing!

Please see http://www.catb.org/%7eesr/faqs/smart-questions.html#urgent
There is a number of companies providing commercial support for
U-Boot, so if your project is stuck you might consider contacting
these.

> It will be really helpful if you can help us in modifying the uboot such a
> way that it will boot from
> DDR2 itself.

You cannot "boot from DDR2", because the DDR2 needs to be initialized
first, and to do so so need information (and eventually code) from
the boot device.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Winners never talk about glorious victories. That's  because  they're
the  ones  who  see  what the battlefield looks like afterwards. It's
only the losers who have glorious victories.
                                      - Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_