[U-Boot] uboot on microblaze, compilation error

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Mar 21 23:45:51 CET 2010

Dear Mike,

In message <201003211820.51966.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> > You are wrong here. It _is_ a bug of the toolchain if it auto-defines
> > random unreserved identifiers.  This is NOT standard GCC behaviour.
>
> they arent random, it's the arch-specific identifier.  and most arches do
> exactly that with gcc.  try actually looking at the builtins provided by x86,
> mips, and powerpc to mention just a few.

As far as I can tell these are neither part of the Standard Predefined
Macros nor of the Common Predefined Macros, so these can only be part
of the System-Specific Predefined Macros.

And the C standard requires that all System-Specific Macros be part
of the _reserved_namespace_ (i. e. the names must begin with two
underscores, or an underscore and a capital letter).

So if a C compiler auto-defines something as "arm", or "i386", or
"microblaze", then it is NOT standard-conforming - bare with me if I
simply call this broken.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way  is  to
make  it  so  simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the
other is to make it so complicated that there are  no  obvious  defi-
ciencies.                             - Charles Anthony Richard Hoare