[U-Boot] uboot on microblaze, compilation error

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Mon Mar 22 07:54:04 CET 2010

On Sunday 21 March 2010 18:45:51 Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Mike wrote:
> > > You are wrong here. It _is_ a bug of the toolchain if it auto-defines
> > > random unreserved identifiers.  This is NOT standard GCC behaviour.
> >
> > they arent random, it's the arch-specific identifier.  and most arches do
> > exactly that with gcc.  try actually looking at the builtins provided by
> > x86, mips, and powerpc to mention just a few.
>
> As far as I can tell these are neither part of the Standard Predefined
> Macros nor of the Common Predefined Macros, so these can only be part
> of the System-Specific Predefined Macros.
>
> And the C standard requires that all System-Specific Macros be part
> of the _reserved_namespace_ (i. e. the names must begin with two
> underscores, or an underscore and a capital letter).
>
> So if a C compiler auto-defines something as "arm", or "i386", or
> "microblaze", then it is NOT standard-conforming - bare with me if I
> simply call this broken.

that may be, but if that is what the gcc maintainer has decided, then
complaining about it wont fix code like u-boot.  after all, u-boot hasnt told
gcc that it wants strict preprocessor behavior (i.e. using something like -
ansi).  if it did, then gcc wouldnt have output any non-prefixed defines.
-mike