[U-Boot] uboot on microblaze, compilation error

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Mar 22 12:18:52 CET 2010

Dear Mike Frysinger,

In message <201003220254.05158.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> > So if a C compiler auto-defines something as "arm", or "i386", or
> > "microblaze", then it is NOT standard-conforming - bare with me if I
> > simply call this broken.
>
> that may be, but if that is what the gcc maintainer has decided, then
> complaining about it wont fix code like u-boot.  after all, u-boot hasnt told

Complaining about it might help to accelerate fixes which are already
in the works. GCC documentation reads:

	We are slowly phasing out all predefined macros which are
	outside the reserved namespace. You should never use them in
	new programs, and we encourage you to correct older code to
	use the parallel macros whenever you find it.

Complaining might make the "slowwly" a little faster.  Not complaining
certainly does not help at all.

> gcc that it wants strict preprocessor behavior (i.e. using something like -
> ansi).  if it did, then gcc wouldnt have output any non-prefixed defines.

Maybe we should do that?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.
                        - Sir Winston Churchill _My Early Life_ ch. 9