[U-Boot] several problems with ethernet on MCF5445x

w.wegner at astro-kom.de w.wegner at astro-kom.de
Tue Mar 23 16:40:07 CET 2010

Dear John,

On 23 Mar 2010 at 10:11, John Schmoller wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 15:50 +0100, w.wegner at astro-kom.de wrote:
> > I have a DP83848J PHY connected in MII mode to each of the FEC0
> > and FEC1 ports (seperate MDIO connection). Both PHYs are set to
> > address 0x0. *)
>
> Are you sure this is what you want?  From the data sheet:
>
> Strapping PHY Address 0 puts the part into Isolate Mode.
[...]

sorry, my fault...
I forgot about the internal pullup and did not read carefully
that U-Boot correctly identified the PHY at address 1.

So, both PHYs are strapped to address 0x01.

My concern was, if there is any problem arising from two PHYs
sharing the same address while being accessed through
different physical interfaces. E.g., it seems I can only access
one of the PHYs via the "mii" commands - I am not sure if
this is a limitation originating from the identical addresses, or
some other problem with my setup.

Thanks for pointing out that mistake!

Regards,
Wolfgang