[U-Boot] net, kirkwood_egiga: init mac address before using network commands

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Mar 30 10:26:59 CEST 2010

Dear Simon Kagstrom,

In message <20100330100127.5f36495c at marrow.netinsight.se> you wrote:

> > I also actively request the U-Boot community to give feedback here -
> > after all, this _is_ a community project and fixing real problems is one
> > of the main tasks of a bootloader.
>
> Personally, I'd prefer using Heikos approach until Arm Linux has moved
> to device trees. I know it's a deviation from how it's supposed to
> work, but it also solves a real problem without introducing kludges
> elsewhere.

If we do not even raise issues with the current Linux code with the
Linux developers they will not even be aware that there are problems.
In the end, things will never change.

It is always wrong to not even try to fix the root cause of problems.

> I think most people (myself included) would just "solve" the problem by
> carrying a private patch to setup the MAC address in U-boot anyway.

Interesting.  Why would you do this?  Why would you not rather fix the
Linux driver instead? [This is what I would do.]

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"You can have my Unix system when you  pry  it  from  my  cold,  dead
fingers."                                                - Cal Keegan