[U-Boot] Debugging into the kernel from u-boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed May 5 11:52:15 CEST 2010

Dear "Dunda, Matthias",

In message <569685F045B85741820D0265E0D2999D019CFE8C at tddhh01.hh.thales-naval.de> you wrote:

> is it correct, that I can only use HARD breakpoints? Because when I set
> BREAK SOFT, the gdb always says it cannot access memory at c000....

This should be a configuration issue, most probabl;y with your BDI
config file.

> From the BDI3000 documentation I assume, that using MMT XLAT and setting
> PTBASE is only important, if I load and start the kernel directly, without
> the initialization from U-Boot. Am I right?

No. These are always important when you want to debug the kernel. And
you need BDI support enabled in the kernel as well.

> For information I attach the log I read out of memory at __log_buf
> location... although I already posted that on the linuxppc-dev list...

Argh.. Multiple postings on several lists :-(

[Not to mention that, strictly speaking, this discussion is off topic
here.]

> Do you think, that there's maybe a hardware issue because of the timing
> errors in the call trace?

No.

> Is this the reason for the strange behaviour of the gdb when trying to step
> thru the code?

I don't know which "strange behaviour of the gdb" you are talking
about.  Did you read the available documentation and FAQ's on this
topic?

> I mean - assuming that the hardware is correct - I should be able to do
> "state-of-the-art" code stepping even at early stage like in
> early_init_devtree, right?

Right.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Spock, did you see the looks on their faces?"
"Yes, Captain, a sort of vacant contentment."