[U-Boot] Exception in serial_init

Andrew Dyer amdyer at gmail.com
Sat May 8 20:18:16 CEST 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Gurumurthy G M
<Gurumurthy.Gowdar at gmobis.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>       I am getting a exception in board.c , at the end of serial_init function i.e. when i access to stack pointer (SP).
>
> The return address register ra value is not correct.
>
> I am porting U-boot-2010.03 for MIPS32 Au1350 processor.
>
> board specs:-
>
> CPU Frequency - 396 MHz
> System Bus Frequency - 198 MHz
> SDRAM (DDR2) Frequency - 198 MHz
>
> SDRAM Base address is  - 0x80000000
> SP offset is  - 0x400000
>
> I am able to read and write DDR2 SDRAM from BDI3000, but how to check whether my DDR2 SDRAM Configuration is working or not from U-Boot.
>
> below is the error log file:-
>
> Au1350>bi 0xbfc195c0
> Breakpoint identification is 0
> Au1350>go
> - TARGET: core #0 has entered debug mode
> Au1350>info
>    Core number       : 0
>    Core state        : Debug Mode
>    Debug entry cause : exception
>    Current PC        : 0xbfc195c0
>    Current SR        : 0x00400000
>    Current LR  (r31) : 0xbfc195bc
>    Current SP  (r29) : 0x803fff90
>    Current EPC       : 0x18222521
> Au1350>ti
>    Core number       : 0
>    Core state        : Debug Mode
>    Debug entry cause : single step
>    Current PC        : 0xbfc195c4
>    Current SR        : 0x00400000
>    Current LR  (r31) : 0x440c0050
>    Current SP  (r29) : 0x803fff90
> Au1350>ti
>    Core number       : 0
>    Core state        : Debug Mode
>    Debug entry cause : single step
>    Current PC        : 0xbfc195c8
>    Current SR        : 0x00400000
>    Current LR  (r31) : 0x440c0050
>    Current SP  (r29) : 0x803fff90
> Au1350>ti
>    Core number       : 0
>    Core state        : Debug Mode
>    Debug entry cause : single step
>    Current PC        : 0x440c0050
>    Current SR        : 0x00400000
>    Current LR  (r31) : 0x440c0050
>    Current SP  (r29) : 0x803fffb0
> Au1350>ti
>    Core number       : 0
>    Core state        : Debug Mode
>    Debug entry cause : single step
>    Current PC        : 0xbfc00200
>    Current SR        : 0x00400002
>    Current LR  (r31) : 0x440c0050
>    Current SP  (r29) : 0x803fffb0
> Au1350>
>
> please let me know whether SDRAM DDR2 configuration is wrong or am missing something. why am not able to access SP from U-boot.

This error doesn't necessarily mean your memory is bad (although it could be).

You need to figure out why the link register r31 is wrong - virtual
addr 0x440c0050 is in a TLB mapped space, and u-boot doesn't use that
space for code, so when the code does a JAL/BAL instruction to exit,
it does a TLB lookup and throws an exception as there is no valid
mapping.

It could be something is corrupting the stack frame or frame pointer
register and it's getting restored from bad data, or it could be a
linking/toolchain issue where the code is restoring from the wrong
place in the stack frame.

Next time a disassembly of the function and a register dump would help
a lot in diagnosing what's happening.