[U-Boot] tftp not working for larger rootfs image

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon May 10 20:15:23 CEST 2010

Dear Navaneethan P,

In message <OFC0F5B214.FB6727D8-ON6525771F.0051D939-6525771F.00535BA6 at lntemsys.com> you wrote:

> I am using Freescale's iMX51 based custom board with NAND flash size of
> 128MB.

This code is not in mainline, so how should we able to know where or
how you (mis)configured your system?

> My root file system image size happens to be 75MB.
> I have DDR RAM of 128MB.
> My DDR Start Address is 0x9000_0000. I am trying to load my root file
> system to 0x9080_0000.(8MB after the starting location).
> But when i execute the tftp command, it loads some amount after that it
> hangs up.

That's not really a surprise on ARM, if the system configuration does
not match the hardware.

> 1. How much memory does the u-boot requires? Is 8MB enough?

U-Boot needs only a few 100 kB for itself; 1 MB should be more than
enough for most configurations.

> 2. Since I have 128MB of RAM, I should be able to load 120MB of image
> file. Why does it hangs up?

Maybe you misconfigured U-Boot so the U-Boot image sits right in the
middle of your RAM?

> Why these behavior? Is this behavior is correct? Is there anything wrong
> with my DDR Initialization?

You don't provide any information about where your code comes from, or
how you configured it, so it's difficult to make even educated
guesses.

How did you configure TEXT_BASE?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The manager will be continually amazed that policies he took for com-
mon knowledge are totally unknown by some member of his  team.  Since
his fundamental job is to keep everybody going in the same direction,
his chief daily task will be communication, not decision-making.
                              - Fred Brooks, "The Mythical Man Month"