[U-Boot] tftp not working for larger rootfs image

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon May 10 20:20:21 CEST 2010

Dear Navaneethan P,

In message <OF6CFF30FC.3B42CC59-ON6525771F.005C0640-6525771F.005CEEE2 at lntemsys.com> you wrote:

> >> You could flash your rootfs.jffs2 directly to NAND and mount it from
> there,
> No idea how to do it. Is there any way, I can directly load the data to
> NAND through tftp or any other command?

Yes, there is - using an appropriate JTAG debugger for example, or
using Linux or another OS of your choice.

> >> or if you have access to the FEC you could mount your rootfs via NFS.
> I have tried boot to linux, and i am using nandwrite utility to flash the
> root file system. There also it hangs up after some time.

Ah, now this is interesting. Are you sure your memory is really
cionfigured correctly (and is there really as much RAM as you believe
there is)?

> nandwrite writes from offset 0 to 2880000. Then it gives "Unable to handle
> kernel paging request at virtual address 01000000" error (kernel panic).
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

We cannot help you with custom hardware and unknown code - that's a
really bad combination.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out,
which is the exact opposite." - Bertrand Russell, _Sceptical_Essays_,
1928