[U-Boot] Flash Erase and Write timeout for S29GL512P

prakash bedge prakash.bedge at gmail.com
Tue May 25 10:31:37 CEST 2010

Hi,

>> Be careful. 1024 s is chip erase time, but we use sector erase only, so
it's only 3.5 seconds.
It would be really helpful if you please explain how 3.5 seconds come; since
the S29GL512P datasheet says sector erase operation time is 0.5 seconds and
program operation time is 64 microseconds.

 What values I should put in my config file?
#define CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_ERASE_TOUT ??  /* Timeout for Flash Erase (in
ms) */
#define CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_WRITE_TOUT ?? /* Timeout for Flash Write (in ms) */

I seen canyonlands.h and I think it is also 64 MB flash.

/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 * FLASH related
 *----------------------------------------------------------------------*/
#define CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_CFI   /* The flash is CFI compatible */
#define CONFIG_FLASH_CFI_DRIVER  /* Use common CFI driver */

#define CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_CFI_AMD_RESET 1 /* Use AMD (Spansion) reset cmd */
#define CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_BANKS_LIST    {CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_BASE}
#define CONFIG_SYS_MAX_FLASH_BANKS 1 /* max number of memory banks  */
#define CONFIG_SYS_MAX_FLASH_SECT 512 /* max number of sectors on one
chip */

#define CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_ERASE_TOUT 120000 /* Timeout for Flash Erase (in
ms) */
#define CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_WRITE_TOUT 500 /* Timeout for Flash Write (in
ms) */

But I myself is not geting satsifed why I should use these values since they
are not as per the flash datasheet.

Regards,
Prakash