[U-Boot] Flash Erase and Write timeout for S29GL512P

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 21 09:16:04 CEST 2010

Dear prakash bedge,

In message <AANLkTil9bEkSR6MOcuCbgkxhJN-VKKdOAEMnHIYjqNVj at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Flash chip I am using is S29GL512P and as per datasheet flash erase time is
> 1024 Seconds and flash program time is 492 Seconds.

Be careful. 1024 s is chip erase time, but we use sector erase only,
so it's only 3.5 seconds.

Same for the 492 s - this is Chip Program Time which does not matter
here.

>  But, in Uboot, I am seeing that most boards have  configured
> CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_ERASE_TOUT
> to 240000 ms and  CONFIG_SYS_FLASH_WRITE_TOUT   to 200-400 ms range for
> flash of size 1GB or moroe.
>
> Can anyone please tell what value I should use for my chip.

The CFI driver accesses the flash in sectors only, so sector times
apply, not chip times.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Even if you aren't in doubt, consider the mental welfare of the  per-
son who has to maintain the code after you, and who will probably put
parens in the wrong place.          - Larry Wall in the perl man page