[U-Boot] patch for gc-sections

Haiying Wang Haiying.Wang at freescale.com
Thu Nov 4 17:16:04 CET 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 08:45 -0700, Peter Tyser wrote:
> Can you explain what you mean?  The binary needs to be 4K, right?  So
> it
> can't be trimmed down.  But there should be more available space in
> that
> 4K region, eg (all tests on MPC8536DS_NAND_config):
>
> /* After apply my patch sent yesterday */
> ptyser at petert u-boot $ size after/u-boot-spl
>    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>    3440     460       0    3900     f3c after/u-boot-spl
>
> /* Remove my two patches(remove gc-section patch and this new patch)
> */
> ptyser at petert u-boot $ size before/u-boot-spl
>    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
>    3620     460       0    4080     ff0 before/u-boot-spl
Yes, you are right, the size is down. I only noticed the u-boot-spl size
by using ls -l, not via size. Now I get the same result as yours.

It is very good to see this trim-down size because I know some board
developers are fighting with the 4k limitation of the nand-spl size. Are
you going to submit your new patch to upstream?

Btw, the filesize I see here is smaller than yours, I guess you are
using the most updated gcc version. I am using gcc-4.3.2.

> I batted an eye when I saw the 112M file to, but it looks like that is
> unrelated to my change:
It is not related to your change, I see it happens on 2010.09 which
doesn't have your change. Something between 2010.06 and 2010.09 makes
this happen.

Thanks.

Haiying