[U-Boot] patch for gc-sections

Peter Tyser ptyser at xes-inc.com
Thu Nov 4 17:36:11 CET 2010

> Yes, you are right, the size is down. I only noticed the u-boot-spl size
> by using ls -l, not via size. Now I get the same result as yours.
>
> It is very good to see this trim-down size because I know some board
> developers are fighting with the 4k limitation of the nand-spl size. Are
> you going to submit your new patch to upstream?

Glad to hear.  I'll submit an official patch shortly.  Just to make
sure, have you tried running one of the nand-spl images after the patch
I sent yesterday?  It'd be good to get confirmation that the
-gc-sections doesn't have any accidental side effects as I wasn't able
to test it.

> Btw, the filesize I see here is smaller than yours, I guess you are
> using the most updated gcc version. I am using gcc-4.3.2.

I was using gcc 4.2.2 in my tests for what its worth.

> > I batted an eye when I saw the 112M file to, but it looks like that is
> > unrelated to my change:
> It is not related to your change, I see it happens on 2010.09 which
> doesn't have your change. Something between 2010.06 and 2010.09 makes
> this happen.

One more bug to track down:)

Best,
Peter