[U-Boot] ARM: OMAP3/4: proposal: Cleanup MUX

Steve Sakoman sakoman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 03:47:52 CET 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Nishanth Menon
<menon.nishanth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
> I would like to work on the following: Cleanup mux configurations done
> in OMAP3 and 4 platforms. includes the following:
> a) have isolate mux configurations per IP configuration, e.g. for EHCI,
> we have a mux array definition for EHCI etc..
> b) remove ALL mux configurations that are not relevant for u-boot
> functionality - currently we do all muxing in u-boot(including stuff
> like camera which obviously we dont use in u-boot).
>
> any kernel breakages as a result of "assumptions" of muxing already done
> is to be fixed in kernel itself - kernel *has* a mux framework for OMAP
> and platforms files *should* be using that for kernel functionality that
> they need. no point in carrying that burden in u-boot.
>
> I would like to post this patches so that for the next merge window we
> could pull this in and notify the linux-omap kernel guys to fix their
> stuff if they depend on u-boot for mux configurations - it is high time
> they stop being closely tied to U-boot and have capability to deal with
> other bootloaders which may or maynot have capability for doing muxing -
> it also saves us to add and maintain mux configurations for linux kernel
> booting -> u-boot is supposed to support multiple operating systems (not
> just linux kernel).

While I understand that you are frustrated with the slow movement in
getting the kernel mux cleaned up, I really can't support deliberately
breaking systems to force the issue.

I don't think it does end users any service to have a u-boot "upgrade"
break their systems.  In the end, they are the ones who will be hurt
and u-boot will get the blame for causing the breakage.

I'd rather see us put the energy into helping get the kernel in shape.

Steve