[U-Boot] [WIP] tools/env: cleanup host build flags

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 10 21:00:48 CET 2010

Dear Mike Frysinger,

In message <201011100423.13449.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> > - use the cross compiler again (fw_printenv is intended for a
> >   hosted environment on the target).
>
> the cross-compiler used to create u-boot has no guarantee that it'll produce
> executables useful for the target OS.  often this isnt the case.  HOSTCC

Really? You mean, you need different tool chains to build U-Boot, the
Linux kernel or user space applications?  Frankly, I consider those
tool chains broken.

> however will produce useful userspace applications for whatever host the user
> has selection.

This makes no sense to me.  We have CROSS_COMPILE set, and that is
supposed to be used for cross compilation.

IIRC, HOSTCC refers to the C compiler on the and for the build host,
i. e. when running on a x86 system it will create x86 code.  This is
obviously wrong when we try to build fw_printenv for, say, a PPC4xx
system.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"A witty saying proves nothing."                           - Voltaire