[U-Boot] [WIP] tools/env: cleanup host build flags

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Wed Nov 10 23:06:16 CET 2010

On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 15:00:48 Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > - use the cross compiler again (fw_printenv is intended for a
> > >
> > >   hosted environment on the target).
> >
> > the cross-compiler used to create u-boot has no guarantee that it'll
> > produce executables useful for the target OS.  often this isnt the case.
> >  HOSTCC
>
> Really? You mean, you need different tool chains to build U-Boot, the
> Linux kernel or user space applications?  Frankly, I consider those
> tool chains broken.

based on your based comments, i'm really not surprised.  you constantly prefer
to ignore reality and the state of GNU toolchains.  plus, you ignore other
obvious setups.  just because the toolchain in question may produce binaries
doesnt mean the binaries are in the ABI format desired for linux userspace.

blindly assuming the toolchain that is being used to create u-boot will also
be used for creating userspace apps is fundamentally wrong.

> > however will produce useful userspace applications for whatever host the
> > user has selection.
>
> This makes no sense to me.  We have CROSS_COMPILE set, and that is
> supposed to be used for cross compilation.
>
> IIRC, HOSTCC refers to the C compiler on the and for the build host,
> i. e. when running on a x86 system it will create x86 code.  This is
> obviously wrong when we try to build fw_printenv for, say, a PPC4xx
> system.

and it is trivial for the user to say "i wish to build tools for PPC4xx
userland"
-mike