[U-Boot] writing board_nand_init for pollux vr3520F

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Mon Nov 15 20:42:02 CET 2010

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 17:33:02 +0000
Miguel José Amez Riendas <miguel.amez at mercatest.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> this is my first post on u-boot list.
> I'm trying to write function "board_nand_init" for a Pollux VR3520F SoC
> based board.
> I'm having some troubles and really don't know very good where to start and
> which parts of nand_chip pointer have to be filled and which not.
> Could you please help me a little bit on this?

Does its NAND controller resemble any of the drivers under
drivers/mtd/nand?

If so, look at what other boards using that controller are doing.

If not, you'll need to write a controller driver.  What that driver
looks like depends on how the hardware works -- do you have a simple
interface to read/write bytes or words, and raise/lower some signals?
Maybe with an ECC accelerator?  Or does the hardware isolate you more
from the hardware details, such that you program it to do high level
operations such as read page, erase block, etc?

-Scott