[U-Boot] request for ubifs recovery support

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Wed Nov 17 19:13:03 CET 2010

Le 17/11/2010 19:01, Quotient Remainder a écrit :
> Ar Céad, 2010-11-17 ag 17:25 +0100, scríobh Albert ARIBAUD:
>
>> Do you mean that, in Linux, you do a power cycle without (syncing and)
>> unmounting a file system that will be critical to properly booting later
>> on? If so, what is the rationale behind this too-quick power cycle?
>
> Yes, I'm testing power-fail tolerance!  The RFS is mounted in sync mode
> so unless I'm missing something the sync should have occurred before the
> command prompt reappears, right?
>

>> Seems to me you should start by the preventive measure of avoiding the
>> corruption in the first place (do a cp; sync; umount...) rather than
>> relying on a curative measure of recovery attempts.
>
> Ideally, yes and "sync" before power-down works but that's not what
> these tests are checking.  With the RFS not in sync mode, it works;
> "sync" command with sync mount currently untested.

Ok, now I understand why you do this cp-then-powercycle routine.

Granted, cp on a sync mount should have finished when you get back to
the prompt, so that's one Linux, not U-boot, issue to dig into; but
anyway, if you're testing for powerfail conditions, I guess you also
test power-cycling in the middle of the cp, so you may end up with a
corrupted ubifs anyway.

I guess if you or Eric know how to enable ubifs recovery in u-boot, the
simplest course of action is to just go ahead and try it -- but I still
think the cp+powercycle issue is caused purely in Linux and should be
fixed there.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.