[U-Boot] OT Flashing high volume of devices

Peter Barada peterb at logicpd.com
Thu Nov 18 21:50:52 CET 2010

On 11/18/2010 03:39 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Hamilton Vera,
>
> In message<AANLkTim-w-ijiNpPMsmUM++9MwWsxbOntOdPb5HH6D0Z at mail.gmail.com>  you wrote:
>
>> Hi folks this is probably out off topic, we are happily using uboot in
>> our devices but I am wondering about the procedures to flash/deploy
>> uboot (or any bootloader) in a high scale production environment.
>>
> What sort of boot device are you using?  NOR flash? NAND flash?
>
> For high volumes, you can get pre-programmed flash chips, so you have
> a running system when the boards come from assembly.

Indeed, pre-programing flash used in the board assembly is the way to
go.  Most manufacturers make the initial image a self-test program that
initially exercise all I/O (the board is initially powered up attached
to a test/burn-in fixture), and if the test succeeds, then re-burns the
flash with the production image(u-boot/Linux/rootfs or otherwise) that
is part of the test-image.  If the test fails, then the board is
rejected and reworked to diagnose/fix found issues (cold-solder, lifted
pins, etc).

Speed of testing/initial burn-in can be increased by running more than
one fixture in parallel.

--
Peter Barada
peterb at logicpd.com