[U-Boot] DEC21140 driver && netconsole && new target.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Nov 25 08:30:40 CET 2010

Dear Scott Nicholas,

In message <AANLkTingEZsfkziHF+QDBxDm8ri1tL4eQA5v+DNYTStP at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > There is no dec21140 Ethernet driver in mainline U-Boot, so it's
> > pretty unlikely that there will be much feedback.  Just don't be
> > disappointed.
>
> I mean drivers/net/dc2114x.c, whatever name it goes by.

Oops. You are right.

But tehre are only few board configfurations that enable that driver,
and most of them are old and unmaintained. I doubt any of these ever
used netconsole.

The only more recent system is `linkstation', but again I doubt if it
has been tested with netconsole (but of course you might ask
Guennadi, the maintainer).

> I may. But I can't test changes to dc2114x itself, is why I asked the
> list. Because maybe the board that does use it, does not exactly
> follow behavior of mine?

Try and ask if Guennadi can test this on his linkstation.

> Little would be gained from including my target to mainline. Afaik,
> it's only in this 1 router. The chip and board both out of production.
> But I can submit.

There may be other users who use this box, and there are probably
other, similar systems.

> I'm currently trying to have MIPS startup code use unlzma on the rest,
> so that I may fit the entire binary into the same 64k sector used
> currently. Would such a patch seem useful for submission as well?
> seems not much MIPS use in here.

Indeed, there are not so many MIPS users out there. Dunno why.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like
it the least.                         -- Philip Earl of Chesterfield