[U-Boot] How to build mkimage tool on Solaris host ?

Anand Karanam anand.karanam at ericsson.com
Mon Nov 29 10:06:27 CET 2010

Hi,

We have a requirement to use p4080 based board in our application and I was able to down load and build the mkimage and other tools on Linux using the following steps

 downloaded the latest u-boot source from  ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/u-boot/  i.e  u-boot-2010.09

 make CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-eabi ARCH=ppc distclean
 make CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-eabi- ARCH=powerpc P4080DS_config
 make CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-eabi- ARCH=powerpc
with these I was able to build the tools like mkimage and others required on Linux host.

However I see lot of build errors when I try the same on Solaris host. But we have the requirement to use a Solaris as the build environment and I need mkimage to build which can run on Solaris ( Solaris 9 or Solaris 10 )

$ make CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-eabi- ARCH=powerpc P4080DS_config
make: *** [P4080DS_config] Error 1

i.e the configuration fails for P4080DS_config

I have also tried to use the following command to build only the tools but observe errors from the Makefile

$ make tools
make -C tools
make[1]: -E: Command not found
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ekarana/UBOOT/uboot_solaris/tools'
/bin/sh: syntax error at line 1: `;' unexpected
make[1]: *** [.depend] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ekarana/UBOOT/uboot_solaris/tools'
make: *** [tools] Error 2
So please suggest how we can build mkimage tools on Solaris host for p4080.

Thanks,
Anand