[U-Boot] How to build mkimage tool on Solaris host ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Nov 29 11:21:42 CET 2010

Dear Anand Karanam,

In message <BC96682D7F206346B8F098EAD0C172EE04F82549 at ESESSCMS0358.eemea.ericsson.se> you wrote:

> However I see lot of build errors when I try the same on Solaris host. But
> we have the requirement to use a Solaris as the build environment and I nee
> d mkimage to build which can run on Solaris ( Solaris 9 or Solaris 10 )
>
> $ make CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-eabi- ARCH=powerpc P4080DS_config
> make: *** [P4080DS_config] Error 1

I guess you will have to install a number of GNU tools in your SOlaris
system, including GNU make, gcc, and binutils.  Sorry, I have no idea
what's available in Solatis these days - I stopped using this
environment in the days of Solaris 2.6, i. e. _some_ time ago.

> So please suggest how we can build mkimage tools on Solaris host for p4080.

U-Boot depends in a number of areas on GNU tools. Eventually you can
find pre-built packages you just have to install (there used to be
such repositories, long ago though).  Otherwise you will have to build
from the sources.

Alternatively, install Linux (eventually in a VM).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the  occurence
of the improbable.                                    - H. L. Mencken