[U-Boot] U-Boot 1.3.4 CONFIG_SILENT_CONSOLE Does Not Work?

NB quickx at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 2 06:51:12 CEST 2010

Mike Frysinger <vapier <at> gentoo.org> writes:

> ive seen issues depending on the env location.  if the env cannot be loaded
> early, the *default env* is consulted for its silent settings, and then
> "work" once the saved env is relocated.
>
> might also want to check CONSOLE_IS_IN_ENV is enabled.

Yeah I think you are right.  CONSOLE_IS_IN_ENV is enabled for me, but
at91sam9261ek also has CONFIG_SKIP_LOWLEVEL_INIT and
CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT, so that RELOCATE issue is probably what is
hindering me.

I looked at the console_init function (part where it is doing
if(getenv("silent") != NULL)... and that is always returning null,
even if it is set dynamically and rebooted.

What I did was change the check so it looks at a jumper instead of the
getenv("silent") since this is what I wanted it to do anyway and it seems to
all work now :).

I do notice that U-Boot is silencing everything except the "uncompressing
kernel.............................." but I see the file related to that and
should be able to fix it.

Thanks for your help.