[U-Boot] ARM relocation, question to Heiko

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Oct 4 10:27:04 CEST 2010

Dear Joakim Tjernlund,

In message <OFE6153B0A.80735DD8-ONC12577B2.002963A5-C12577B2.0029D57C at transmode.se> you wrote:

> However, I think we will loose the possibility to add "link once, burn and run anywhere"
> feature I impl. once(but it was at the time deemed to intrusive) if
> we skip -fPIC and go for the linker -pie relocation.
>
> I would suggest to leave ppc as is for the time being and
> see how -pie works out on the other archs.

I see two tasks here:

Prio 1: fix the current problems on ARM

Prio 2: make architectures as similar as possible.

My dream would be to have all that work in the same way (even if
eventually differen mechanisms need ti be deployed) on ARM, x86 and
PPC (and MIPS? and others?).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
No question is too silly to ask. Of course, some  questions  are  too
silly to to answer...  - L. Wall & R. L. Schwartz, _Programming Perl_