[U-Boot] ARM relocation, question to Heiko

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Oct 4 19:14:00 CEST 2010

Dear Graeme Russ,

In message <AANLkTikNKFjUQ6Dmw3Ey=0qiEkiM716E=1+3nP3jG_ss at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > That means you need to build all of U-Boot that way, because
> > significant parts of the code already run before relocation
> > (including all clocks and timers setup, console setup, printf and all
> > routines these pull in).
>
> Have a look at x86 - Relocation is performed at the first possible moment
>
> This made full relocation for x86 was relatively trivial :)

Well, U-Boot is not only a fancy boot loader, but also a hardware
bringup tool. It was designed to make it as easy for the software guy
to bring up code on new hardware. That means, that one of the very
first things we always try to do is get a (usually serial) console
port working, so we can use printf() to get some helpful information
out. This happens especially before doing anythign that is known to be
complicated and error prone, like especially the initialization of
both the memory controller and the RAM system on the board.

I am aware that there are systems out there which perform the RAM
initialization either in hardware or for example table-driven by some
built-in ROM boot loader code. Here RAM initalization is obviously not
such an issue, but nevertheless there is a LOT of code running before
we relocate the code to RAM.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity." "And in the way
our differences combine to create meaning and beauty."
	-- Dr. Miranda Jones and Spock, "Is There in Truth No Beauty?",
	   stardate 5630.8