[U-Boot] NAND on AVR32

Reinhard Meyer u-boot at emk-elektronik.de
Sat Oct 9 01:38:43 CEST 2010

On 09.10.2010 00:54, David Collier wrote:
> Apologies if this is a double -post - I didn't get it back in my feed
> from the mailing list.... maybe it is awaiting approval or something.
> But I'm off on holiday, and I'd really like it to be "out there"

Posted in the AVR32 forum already...

> I thought the whole point of using this linux and u-boot stuff was that
> whatever you did, someone else had done it first and you just had to copy
> them.

Sure. If everyone thought like that, nothing would exist...

> But the u-boot seems to have no clue about NAND on the AVR32 - it doesn't
> set up the hardware to get to it at all, and there's no code set up in
> the target board header and code files for any AVR32-based board, as far
> as I can see!!!

Blame it on the fact that no Atmel board for AVR32 uses NAND and that while
the data sheet of the AP7k was still in "preliminary" state, the part went
NRFND (not recommended for new designs).

> I have found some stuff in support for other Atmel devices, which seems
> relevant. Plus of course the Linux sources.

Probably look at drivers/mtd/nand/atmel_nand.c. Compare datasheets of AT91SAM9
and AP7k. Probably there is little to do except at places where AT91 is
referenced.

And as Scott just now mentioned: always use most recent u-boot as a base.

And if you succeed, make sure you send proper patches, so the next one can
use work someone else did already...

> Any and all advice welcome - especially if someone HAS got there first.

Unlikely that someone else is going to add NAND support for that chip.
Maybe ditch not only the SD, but the AP7k as well ;)

Best Regards,
Reinhard