[U-Boot] NetConsole and network API

RaúlSánchez Siles rsanchezs at infoglobal.es
Fri Oct 22 09:23:30 CEST 2010

  Hello Joe:

Joe Hershberger <joe.hershberger <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Stefano Babic <sbabic <at> denx.de> wrote:
> > My main question to the ML is, independently from the particular problem
> > on my target, if we should change the actual concept. For example, if we
> > provide to stop all devices only before booting an OS, but leaving them
> > alive after the first initialization. I understand that this generate
> > other issues (as u-boot cannot recognize that a cable was removed and
> > inserted again), but it makes the system usable in other circumstances.
>
> I've run into the same issue and patched net.c a bit to improve the
> behavior of the NetConsole use case.  It's a surgical change, though,
> not a fundamental change to how the network subsystem works.  Only if
> using NetConsole do you get this behavior.  And even if using other
> network operations with NetConsole, those other operations mostly
> maintain their current behavior.
>
> I'll post the patch at some point in the next month or so when I can
> get the time to extract it and test it on modern u-boot.
>
> Best regards,
> -Joe

  I've also bumped into this issue and I'm not familiar enough with U-Boot to
properly think of a solution fixing the issue. However, I share the analisys
Stefano did. In my case I use a davinci DM355 custom board, very similar to the
EVM.

You offered to send a patch some time ago, is there any chance we could see it?
I offer to test it. Alternatively, I'm interested in hearing your approach to
the solution so maybe I can get a slot to make up a patch from it.

  Regards,

--
Raúl Sánchez Siles