[U-Boot] NetConsole and network API

Joe Hershberger joe.hershberger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 22:14:45 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 2:23 AM, RaúlSánchez Siles
<rsanchezs at infoglobal.es> wrote:
>  Hello Joe:
>
> Joe Hershberger <joe.hershberger <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I've run into the same issue and patched net.c a bit to improve the
>> behavior of the NetConsole use case.  It's a surgical change, though,
>> not a fundamental change to how the network subsystem works.  Only if
>> using NetConsole do you get this behavior.  And even if using other
>> network operations with NetConsole, those other operations mostly
>> maintain their current behavior.
>>
>> I'll post the patch at some point in the next month or so when I can
>> get the time to extract it and test it on modern u-boot.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> -Joe
>>

>  I've also bumped into this issue and I'm not familiar enough with U-Boot to
> properly think of a solution fixing the issue. However, I share the analisys
> Stefano did. In my case I use a davinci DM355 custom board, very similar to the
> EVM.
>
> You offered to send a patch some time ago, is there any chance we could see it?
> I offer to test it. Alternatively, I'm interested in hearing your approach to
> the solution so maybe I can get a slot to make up a patch from it.

Hi Raul,

I apologize for not getting to this.  As usual, deadline pressure
pushes this kind of thing out.  I don't have the time to create the
patch for the git head and submit it officially at this time, however
I can give you the patch against u-boot-2009.11.  I'll get to
officially submitting it at some point, but for now this is the best I
can do for you.

Apply this patch to u-boot 2009.11 and then #define
CONFIG_NETCONSOLE_PERSIST_ETH in your board config header.

I use this on an MPC8313 with the TSEC Ethernet driver and it greatly
increases the speed and reliability of the NetConsole.  All other
protocols such as TFTP still work the same as before.

Hopefully this helps.

Best regards,
-Joe