[U-Boot] ALERT! >90% of all board configurations BROKEN

Heiko Schocher hs at denx.de
Tue Oct 26 08:39:47 CEST 2010

Hello Reinhard,

Reinhard Meyer wrote:
> Dear Wolfgang Denk,
>> this is an ALERT!
>>
>> I just noticed (when debugging a strage phenomenon) that most of the
>> board configurations (170 out of 191 for PowerPC, _ALL_ for ARM) are
>> broken, because the size of struct global_data has grown but
>> CONFIG_SYS_GBL_DATA_SIZE has not been adapted (commit 91a7675 added
>> 32 bytes - and yes, I am to blame for that, where is that brown paper
>> bag...)
>>
>> Fact is, the overwhelming majority of boards has currently problems
>> like this:
>>
>> sizeof(struct global_data) = 136, CONFIG_SYS_GBL_DATA_SIZE = 128
>>

>> This may appear to work, or may cause "funny" errors, or simply hangs
>> the board hard very early in booting.
>
> Grep-ing for CONFIG_SYS_GBL_DATA_SIZE in *.[chsS] Makefile *.ld it
> seems to me that with "ELF-reloc" active that define is not used
> anywhere at least in ARM.
>
> Or did I miss a place?

Yep, for example I use it on the beagle3 board, look in:
include/configs/omap3_beagle.h

Checked sizeof(struct global_data) on beagle board, I get 92 bytes,
which is OK with the define in the boardconfig:

#define CONFIG_SYS_GBL_DATA_SIZE        128     /* bytes reserved for */
                                                /* initial data */

A fast look in "arch/arm/include/asm/global_data.h":

I think there should be only problems on arm boards, if
CONFIG_AT91FAMILY is defined, because this define adds + 44 bytes ...

bye,
Heiko