[U-Boot] Not getting any prompt on hyper terminal

Srinivas Ganji srinivasganji at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 12:05:53 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Srinivas Ganji <srinivasganji at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am new to this U-Boot boot loader environment. We have a AMCC PPC 440EP
> processor board which is derived from AMCC Yosemite board. I meant, we have
> prepared (customised) our own board which is equivalent to AMCC Yosemite
> board. For this board, I build the U-Boot boot loader with the help of ELDK
> on Ubuntu x86 host system. However, I have modified the following file
> contents as per my board and processor attributes.
>
> file name                           located directory
> -------------                           ------------------------
> 1) yosemite.h                    u-boot/include/configs
> 2) board.c                         u-boot/arch/powerpc/lib
> 3) init.S and yosemite.c     u-boot/board/amcc/yosemite
> 4) start.S                          u-boot/arch/powerpc/cpu/ppc4xx
>

> After above four file modifications, the u-boot.bin file is created and
> able to load into our board. However, we are NOT getting any prompt on the
> hyper terminal. When we debug the sources through our laterbach debugger, we
> found that the control entered into the relocate_code() function which is
> called from board_init_f () function. The board_init_f () function is
> available in board.c file. However, the relocate_code() is implemented in
> the start.S file. As this is a assembly file, I am not able to understand it
> completely.
>
> The memories that we are using in our board are DDR SDRAM (64MB - Bank0),
> Boot flash (32MB - CS0), Application flash (32MB - CS1). We modified these
> parameters in the yosemite.h file and after loading the u-boot.bin file, we
> are able to see all the memories configured correctly. However, we are not
> getting the U-Boot prompt on the hyper terminal.
>
>  Please let me know, If I am missing any thing here.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Srinivas G

Dear All,

I am getting the following output on the hyper terminal without U-Boot
prompt.

U-Boot 2010.09-00369-g1ba91ba-dirty (Oct 26 2010 - 10:35:31)
CPU:   AMCC PowerPC 440EP Rev. C at 333.333 MHz (PLB=133 OPB=66 EBC=33
PCI=33 MH
z)
       Bootstrap Option E - Boot ROM Location EBC (16 bits)
       Internal PCI arbiter enabled, PCI async ext clock used
       32 kB I-Cache 32 kB D-Cache
Board: Yosemite - AMCC PPC440EP Evaluation Board, Rev. 0, PCI-Async=33 MHz
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  64 MiB
After init sequence functions completed!
addr = 04000000
Before AND - Top of RAM usable for U-Boot at: 04000000
Top of RAM usable for U-Boot at: 04000000
Reserving 822k for U-Boot at: 03f32000
Reserving 1032k for malloc() at: 03e30000
Reserving 144 Bytes for Board Info at: 03e2ff70
Reserving 88 Bytes for Global Data at: 03e2ff18
Stack Pointer at: 03e2fef8
bd->bi_memsize: 67108864
New Stack Pointer is: 03e2fef8
before relocate_code()
By the way, I build the sources with the following commands from u-boot
directory.

make YOSEMITE_config
make all

Please let me know, if you need any additional information. I will provide.

Thanks and Regards,
Srinivas G