[U-Boot] Most ARM CPU's have buggy clear_bss?

Darius Augulis augulis.darius at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 08:56:14 CEST 2010

On 10/28/2010 09:36 AM, Reinhard Meyer wrote:
> Dear Heiko Schocher,
>> Hmm.. I think the question is, is CONFIG_SKIP_RELOCATE_UBOOT not
>> obsolete?
> Why don't we remove ALL that dead code ASAP from ARM start.S and board.c files?
>
> All unmaintained ARM boards are now broken anyway, and those that are fixed are
> using elf relocation.
>
> (I know that there is a 'promise' to keep ARM_WITHOUT_RELOC until next March,
> but does that really make sense anymore?)

Are we going to drop possibility to avoid relocation at all? In spite of
there are some simple systems which would never need relocation and
which prefer fast boot up time and simplicity rather than features like
PRAM or dynamically changing memory size?
Also there are lot of boards booting from nand, and very likely there
would appear more such systems in future. They do relocation already in
preloader and there are no chance to avoid to do it twice.
In this case U-Boot is going to become big, fat and slow, high featured
bootloader suitable for complex systems but not for simple ones which in
most cases need only to boot kernel as fast as possible.

I would prefer to think about reworking existing code rather than
removing it at all.

Darius.