[U-Boot] Most ARM CPU's have buggy clear_bss?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Oct 28 10:36:01 CEST 2010

Dear Darius Augulis,

In message <4CC91E8E.8030702 at gmail.com> you wrote:

> Are we going to drop possibility to avoid relocation at all? In spite of

Yes, definitely.

We will keep the handling of the special case thatthe relocation
offset is zero, so that an additional copy can be avoided, but that's
all.

> there are some simple systems which would never need relocation and
> which prefer fast boot up time and simplicity rather than features like
> PRAM or dynamically changing memory size?

When the relocation offset is zero there shouldnot be any significant
delay.

> Also there are lot of boards booting from nand, and very likely there
> would appear more such systems in future. They do relocation already in
> preloader and there are no chance to avoid to do it twice.

Same argument.

> In this case U-Boot is going to become big, fat and slow, high featured
> bootloader suitable for complex systems but not for simple ones which in
> most cases need only to boot kernel as fast as possible.

If you make such a statement I would like that you come up with
proven, measured facts, i. e. how much time / size does it cost on
your specific "small" system?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple,  neat,
and wrong.                                               - Mark Twain