[U-Boot] ARM: problem with linker option -pie

Darius Augulis augulis.darius at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 22:53:08 CEST 2010

Hi Wolfgang,

On 10/30/2010 11:43 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Darius Augulis,
>
> In message<4CCC8206.40206 at gmail.com>  you wrote:
>>
>> I've found solution which solves problem of empty command table.
>> Actually the problem is -pie linker option. I removed it and added -fPIC
>> flag to compiler options. Because relocation with such changes fails, I
>> set TEXT_BASE equal to runtime calculated relocation address.
>> And it works! All commands are there.
>
> Sorry, but this is not a solution. You may use this as momentary
> workaround if you need a running system, but it cannot go into
> mainline.

Of course not. I just wanted inform that -pie is not working.
Actually I don't know how to fix it correctly. It's may be interesting
for more people, especially who wrote relocation code.
At least one person except me in this list faced the same problem.
Maybe somebody could do test with different compiler/binutils versions
and figure out whether is it depended or not. I have only single ARM
toolchain and can't do such test yet.

Darius.