[U-Boot] ARM: problem with linker option -pie

Albert ARIBAUD albert.aribaud at free.fr
Sun Oct 31 01:31:26 CEST 2010

All,

Thanks to Wolfgang and Alexander who offered help offline in order to
track down the issue. Currently we know that the ELDK 4.2 toolchain
"works" and the CodeSourcery 4.4.1 (arm-2010q1-202) "does not work".

A preliminary test of both the ELDK and the CS toolchains on a small
program which uses one each of const, initialized and uninitialized
globals shows that while the EABI version has moved from 4 to 5, and the
code generator has changed, both toolchains generate the same number of
relocations for the same locations, albeit in a different order; so at
least we know that all required fixups are present with both chains.

On u-boot, the overall number of relocations is smaller with the CS
toolchain but apparently this is due to the code generator generating
less literals per function.

Tomorrow (sorry : later this morning) I'll build the OpenRD binaries
with both toolchains and test it.

Meanwhile, I would still like Alexander to add printf()s to then nand
init functions so that we know at which address they think they
nand_chip should be written to, and compare that to the printf() that
shows at which address nand_chip is supposed to be read.

Amicalement,
--
Albert.