[U-Boot] kernel start-up hangs

Daniele Capuano el.einad at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 20:26:49 CEST 2010

Hello,
I have a BeagleBoard revC4 and I'm trying to use the MontaVista kernel
found at http://www.beagleboard.org/~arago/esc-boston-2009/mvista/.
I've already tryed to boot the board with the Angstrom validation
kernel/rootfs, and it works fine, but I need the RT capability, thus
Angstrom is not the case.
In order to generate an uImage of this kernel, I needed the mkimage
tool from u-boot. So I downloaded the u-boot sources from
git://gitorious.org/beagleboard-validation/u-boot.git and I build them
using the CodeSourcery G++ arm-none-linux-gnueabi-* tools.
Then I was able to build my MontaVista kernel.
Once all this done, I set up a SD card to be used to start the beagle.
I formatted the card using the script found at
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/demo/beagleboard/mkcard.txt, and
I copied (in order) the MLO, u-boot.bin and uImage files in the vfat
boot partition.
Finally, I've started the board. And here is my problem: the kernel
start-up simply hangs without any output.
I attach the u-boot prompt:

OMAP3 beagleboard.org # mmc init
mmc1 is available
OMAP3 beagleboard.org # fat
  fatload fatls fatinfo
OMAP3 beagleboard.org # fatload mmc 0:1 0x82000000 uimage
reading uimage

1568464 bytes read
OMAP3 beagleboard.org # bootm 0x82000000
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.24_mvl5024-beagle_ESC
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    1568400 Bytes =  1.5 MB
   Load Address: 00008000
   Entry Point:  00008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK

----HANGS HERE---

I cannot understand what i'm mistaking, please help me, any idea can
be very useful...
Thank you very much in advance

Daniele