[U-Boot] status of patch to store environment to mmc/sd

Reinhard Meyer u-boot at emk-elektronik.de
Thu Sep 9 15:20:24 CEST 2010

Dear Stefano Babic,
> Amit Kucheria wrote:
>> Stefano,
>>
>> Any further comment on this patch? Does it still require more work
>> that we can take on?
>
> Hi Amit,
>
> as I know there is a newer version of the patch [V6] as the one you
> reported:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/78772/match=patch+v6+save+environment+data+mmc
>
> There is no further comments to this patch, as I can see.
>
> The patch must not be merged into the u-boot-imx branch, because this is
> common code, not specific for imx, and should be merged directly into
> the mainline by Wolfgang.
>
> I let Wolfgang to answer us if he sees some more issue with the patch.

Just looking at the patch I see that it writes the env to fixed blocks
on the SD/MMC card. This will work of course. BUT usually (IMHO) such
cards are used with partitions/filesystems. How do you make sure the
blocks don't overwrite files or don't get overwritten by files?

One can, of course, prepare the card with a small partition spanning
the env blocks. But even then the code should check if the partition
exists and use the block info from the partition entry...

Should the env not be saved in a file? Which is probably a bit beyond
possibility to read when not yet relocated...

Reinhard