[U-Boot] Multiple binaries built through u-boot source

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Tue Sep 14 16:26:13 CEST 2010

Hi Kyungmin,

On Tuesday 14 September 2010 16:18:00 Kyungmin Park wrote:
> >> This looks promising. However, our SPL has to load u-boot from MMC. Is
> >> it OK to keep it under nand_spl directory or should we create
> >> something like 'mmc_spl'?
>
> Good question, It created the mmc_ipl and use it for mmc booting e.g.,
> eMMC boot.

mmc_ipl? This is not in mainline yet.

> > Not sure. Perhaps we should now really think about a more generic
> > approach and merge all this IPL/SPL stuff into a single directory.
> > Perhaps something like this:
> >
> > spl/
> > spl/nand
> > spl/onenand
> > spl/mmc
> > spl/board
>
> Good, and use the CONFIG_PRELOADER as existing. but what's the SPL
> stand for? SPL (secondary program loader)?

Correct. That's how IBM/AMCC called this code first loaded from NAND in their
documentation. IPL (Initial Program Loader) was used for the ROM code inside
the SoC, loading this SPL code from NAND.

Please note that I don't have a strong preference here. We could also call
this first loader stage in the U-Boot source "IPL". But we should move to one
name and stop mixing these names.

Cheers,
Stefan

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-0 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: office at denx.de