[U-Boot] Multiple binaries built through u-boot source

Kyungmin Park kmpark at infradead.org
Tue Sep 14 16:32:21 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Stefan Roese <sr at denx.de> wrote:
> Hi Kyungmin,

>> Good question, It created the mmc_ipl and use it for mmc booting e.g.,
>> eMMC boot.
>
> mmc_ipl? This is not in mainline yet.
Right, I will tell the person to posting it.

>> > Not sure. Perhaps we should now really think about a more generic
>> > approach and merge all this IPL/SPL stuff into a single directory.
>> > Perhaps something like this:
>> >
>> > spl/
>> > spl/nand
>> > spl/onenand
>> > spl/mmc
>> > spl/board
>>
>> Good, and use the CONFIG_PRELOADER as existing. but what's the SPL
>> stand for? SPL (secondary program loader)?
>
> Correct. That's how IBM/AMCC called this code first loaded from NAND in their
> documentation. IPL (Initial Program Loader) was used for the ROM code inside
> the SoC, loading this SPL code from NAND.
>
> Please note that I don't have a strong preference here. We could also call
> this first loader stage in the U-Boot source "IPL". But we should move to one
> name and stop mixing these names.
Okay first explain our case.

BootROM code -> Initial Program Loader (runs on OneNAND 1KiB or
internal RAM) -> u-boot (secondary bootloader).
IPL configure the DRAM and loads the secondary bootloader, u-boot and jump it.

It's another story but I introduce the fastboot between IPL and
u-boot. So if normal boot, fastboot load the kernel and jump it. if
not, e.g., debug or usb download. then jump to u-boot and handle it.
In this case I call it Second BootLoader (SBL).

I also don't preference. just decide and use it.

Thank you,
Kyungmin Park