[U-Boot] Inclusion of GPLv3 code

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Sep 21 09:51:12 CEST 2010

On Tuesday, September 21, 2010 03:33:37 Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Graeme Russ wrote:
> > I know you are favouring a migration of U-Boot to GPLv3, but currently it
> > is still licensed under v2 (although most code is v2 'or later')
> >
> > I have some v3 code I would like to bring in (from GRUB). Will that cause
> > any issues?
>
> It is my understanding that you cannot "downgrade" GPLv3 code, i. e.
> you cannot link it into a GPLv2 project.  But then, I'm not a license
> expert, and IANAL.

in-my-not-a-lawyer-opinion, i think introducing GPLv3 code makes the final
output GPLv3 only if the build includes it.

so if the imported GRUB code stays at GPLv3, and is only for x86, and all of
the code Graeme is using from u-boot is GPLv2+, then the final result there is
under GPLv3 only.  but all his GPLv3 code, assuming it's specific to x86, wont
affect other architectures.
-mike