[U-Boot] Inclusion of GPLv3 code

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Sep 21 10:37:40 CEST 2010

Dear Mike Frysinger,

In message <201009210351.16288.vapier at gentoo.org> you wrote:

> > It is my understanding that you cannot "downgrade" GPLv3 code, i. e.
> > you cannot link it into a GPLv2 project.  But then, I'm not a license
> > expert, and IANAL.
>
> in-my-not-a-lawyer-opinion, i think introducing GPLv3 code makes the final
> output GPLv3 only if the build includes it.

I guess this is correct.

> so if the imported GRUB code stays at GPLv3, and is only for x86, and all of
> the code Graeme is using from u-boot is GPLv2+, then the final result there is
> under GPLv3 only.  but all his GPLv3 code, assuming it's specific to x86, wont
> affect other architectures.

But Graeme would also have to make sure not topick up any partsof the
U-Boot code that are GPLv2 (without the "or later" phrase). A license
nightmare...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Just about every computer on the market today runs Unix,  except  the
Mac (and nobody cares about it).                   - Bill Joy 6/21/85