[U-Boot] u-boot boot sequence

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 29 22:51:06 CEST 2010

Dear Marcel,

In message <201009292233.04020.korgull at home.nl> you wrote:

> > see tools/env for tools to read and write the U-Boot environment
> > settings from Linux. This can be used to change the boot command, boot
> > delay etc.
>
> I used an AVR processor before and did this in the environment settings but
> currently that doesn't work for me yet.
> My env is in nor flash and I don't have a driver in linux yet to communicate
> with it. I'll look into this.

Linux MTD drivers for NOR flash are really standard; they should work
out of the box on all architectures.

> Currently I write settings to eeprom but have no idea if it can be read from
> u-boot. I currently only use it for items that I need in Linux. I did see some

Yes, you can do this. Use the "eeprom read" (or raw "i2c" commands) to
read the eemprom content into RAM; then you can use "env import" to
import it into the environment.

Or you can combine "env export" with "eeprom write" for the opposite
direction.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Who is the oldest inhabitant of this village?"
"We haven't got one; we had one, but he died three weeks ago."