[U-Boot] u-boot boot sequence

Marcel korgull at home.nl
Wed Sep 29 22:58:58 CEST 2010

On Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:51:06 pm Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Marcel,
>
> In message <201009292233.04020.korgull at home.nl> you wrote:
> > > see tools/env for tools to read and write the U-Boot environment
> > > settings from Linux. This can be used to change the boot command, boot
> > > delay etc.
> >
> > I used an AVR processor before and did this in the environment settings
> > but currently that doesn't work for me yet.
> > My env is in nor flash and I don't have a driver in linux yet to
> > communicate with it. I'll look into this.
>
> Linux MTD drivers for NOR flash are really standard; they should work
> out of the box on all architectures.

ok. The vendor of my board must have overseen it and me too. I'll check it and
try if I can make it work. This does have some advantage over using the eeprom
although I guess I can still use the eeprom for some purpose. It's always good
to have a choice.

> > Currently I write settings to eeprom but have no idea if it can be read
> > from u-boot. I currently only use it for items that I need in Linux. I
> > did see some
>
> Yes, you can do this. Use the "eeprom read" (or raw "i2c" commands) to
> read the eemprom content into RAM; then you can use "env import" to
> import it into the environment.
>
> Or you can combine "env export" with "eeprom write" for the opposite
> direction.

It looks like all I need is available or at least within reach. Thanks so much
for your answers, it will save quite lot of time for me to move on in my
project.

Best regards,
Marcel