[U-Boot] Searching for JFFS2 understanding.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Apr 3 10:20:09 CEST 2011

Dear Charles Krinke,

In message <AANLkTi=pfBvvVko1iRnuxdyyU0xWdK6pGretf90+jO5F at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I have *CONFIG_CMD_JFFS2* defined, but not *CONFIG_CMD_MTDPARTS* as they
> seem to be mutually exclusive.

They are not.  There are 64 boards in mainline which define both.

> thinking this would define sufficiently mtdparts for the Linux kernel to
> boot. Maybe there is a C source file in the linux kernel that needs the mtd
> partitioning information hard-code? I vaguely remember something like this a
> while back.

No.  You just select CONFIG_MTD_CMDLINE_PARTS=y in the Linux kernel
configuration.

> List of all partitions:
> No filesystem could mount root, tried:  jffs2*

Seems your kernel does not recognize any MTD partitions at all.

Do you pass any mtdparts= boot argument to the kernel at all?
What exactly are your bootargs?

Did you enable MTD support and CMDLINE_PARTS in the kernel config?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Die Freiheit des Menschen liegt nicht darin, dass er tun kann, was er
will, sondern darin, dass er nicht tun muss, was er nicht will.
                                             -- Jean-Jacques Rousseau