[U-Boot] mpq101 board broken

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Apr 4 10:26:59 CEST 2011

Dear Alex Dubov,

In message <311001.1471.qm at web37602.mail.mud.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> > > everything is
> > > just fine. My compiler version is:
> > > gcc version 4.5.1 (GCC)
> >
> > Seems you are on thin ice.  I used gcc-4.2.2 for
> > building, which
> > eventually optimizes a bit less efficient.
> >

> Is not this compiler version a good 4 years old?

Yes, it is.  And it is rock-solid, at least copmpared to gcc-4.4.x and
later.

See for example  http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/GccBugsAndIssues  for
just the list of regressions we ran into in U-Boot context.

Also keep in mind that for example the Linux README still says: "Make
sure you have at least gcc 3.2 available."  To me this suggests that
compiler versions that old are supposed to be still supported...

> In my blob I still got 8k free, and I don't think there's too much use
> for NFS support, which is enabled by default.

I just point out that this board does not build in our build tests -
as the only PPC board, btw.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.
                              - Terry Pratchett, _Moving Pictures_